For those who don’t know what countertop burners are, these are the perfect option for places with small spaces that do not have enough room for a traditional stovetop, like a shared living space or a studio apartment. A countertop burner is lightweight, compact, and portable, so it’s easy to take with you wherever you like. It also enables you to cook food while your regular cooking appliance is malfunctioning. It comes handy in a pinch, like when your stove breaks down. With these countertop burners on hand, cooking food can be done easily.
Some people buy countertop burners because they need an extra burner or simply want to upgrade their old countertop burner. But before making that purchase, what are the things you need to consider? Should you choose the most expensive one or settle for a unit that comes with many features?
Let’s take a look at the following factors you need to think about when buying countertop burners:
Table of Contents
1. Know How Often You’ll Use the Burner
An important factor to bear in mind when buying a new countertop burner is how often you’ll use it. Countertop burners may come in all sizes and shapes, and how frequently you’ll use one will help determine the size you need. You should remember that domestic-use countertop burners aren’t made to be used for a long period of time as it can shorten the unit’s lifespan. If you’re searching for heavy-duty burners, it’s best to consider a commercial countertop burner.
2. Temperature Levels
There are countertop burners in which you can adjust the level of temperature through the unit’s control knob. But there are also some units that you may adjust to preset temperature levels. If you like a countertop burner that will let you have control on the temperature, you should choose cast-iron burners instead of choosing induction burners. Due to how induction technology works, you might find it challenging to control the temperature of an induction burner.
3. Counter Space Available
Another factor you must consider is the available space in your kitchen. Since the burners are designed in different sizes, you must purchase one that will fit perfectly in your place. In addition to that, consider the unit’s number of burners as it impacts its overall size. For instance, single burners like these countertop burners from Kitchenall occupy a small space compared to double burners. For those with limited space, there are single burners that are made to fit in small kitchens and can be used by those who do not cook at home frequently.
4. Type of Countertop Burner You Require
When it comes to countertop burners, the options are endless. Some of these include induction, ceran, gas, and electric. While the usual choice is an electric burner that doesn’t require installation, considering other options can be a good idea. For several options like gas, installation is required, while some like conduction stoves require magnetic cookware to work. Energy-efficiency is also another vital factor you must not forget. Here are the different types of countertop burners you can consider, as well as their features:
- Induction Burner – It’s the most efficient available burner these days. It is much safer because it doesn’t produce residual heat.
- Electric Coil Countertop Burners – These are not the most ideal in terms of energy-efficiency. Such burners don’t cook food well.
- Gas Countertop Burners – Most professional chefs choose these burners because they generate uniform heat. However, there are some risks with gas burners. These work through making an open flame. It can be dangerous when used improperly. You will also require a gas cylinder or gas connection to use it. Other places have particular regulations when it comes to installing gas appliances. It is important to consult the local authority in your area beforehand.
- Ceran Burners – These are also a great option with a single drawback: these burners have a smooth and shiny glass surface that looks good, but they’re prone to scratches and aren’t compatible with other cookware.
5. Safety Features
If you are the type of person who believes in safety first, it’s best to look for countertop burners that are designed with safety features. Depending on the unit you prefer, some safety features include auto-shutoff or time controlled shut-off. Such features will ensure one’s safety in your home.
Those are just some of the many factors that you should keep in mind whenever you are buying a countertop burner. Make sure to keep the pros and cons of every burner type in mind before you finalize your decision. Shopping around is always a good idea since not all countertop burners can give you the best results, and some might not be tailored to your needs.