Hotdogs are not just a favorite food for the summer when you take advantage of the sunny weather and grill some hotdogs outdoors. Especially when you have children, hotdogs are a year-round foodstuff at home. I know that their health benefits are questionable; but the reality is hotdogs is a hit everywhere, anytime.
Boiling your hotdogs first is a way to prepare them for cooking later. It cooks the hotdogs inside so that you can grill or sauté them faster later. However, how long do you need to boil hotdogs?
Table of Contents
How long does it take to boil hotdogs?
It usually takes five to six minutes for the hotdogs to boil just enough to cook the insides. The time is sufficient to make the hotdogs hot but not long to cause splitting in the middle. When hotdogs split during the boiling, it loses most of its flavor and ends up less appetizing. If you plan to grill, fry, or mix it with other recipes later, since it is already pre-cooked, it saves you time.
However, the time differs depending on the type of hotdog casing/size, method of boiling, fresh or frozen, and sometimes, the brand of the product. Soft hotdogs require lesser time to boil (3-4 minutes) while the tough ones could take a little bit longer (5-6 minutes). Remember the figures to have a better result. Otherwise, boiling too long will make your hotdogs soggy and tasteless.
- Boiling a large pack of hotdogs will require another one-two minutes. Do not forget to make sure that all the hotdogs are ready before taking it out from the pot.
- When boiling a few pieces of hotdogs, you may remove them earlier than five or six minutes. You may test it if it is hot enough for you; otherwise, you extend a few minutes more.
- Boiling with the use of stove: 6 minutes
- Boiling through microwave: 2 minutes (set to high heat)
Two Ways to Boil Hotdogs Properly
You may say that boiling hotdogs is plain and simple. Nevertheless, you may be surprised to know that there are three easy ways to boil them. Do you know how to boil hotdogs? Do your hotdogs come out to be plump, juicy, tender, and crispy hotdogs?
Doing the process is indeed quick and simple. All you need are your hotdogs and a pot of water. You may choose between the microwave and the stove method. Season the water if you like an additional flavor.
1# Stove Method
Stove method only takes 4 minutes of preparation and 6 minutes in boiling the hotdogs. All you need is a pot of water.
- Boil your pot of water. Remember to choose a pot that is big enough to accommodate all your hotdogs. To avoid spillage, leave a few inches of room to the brim of your pot so the water will not spill when you add your hotdogs.
- Place the hotdogs inside the pot. Be careful to put them gently one by one. Otherwise, the boiling water will splash and may burn your hand. NEVER to slip them all one time.
- Although we buy the hotdogs already pre-cooked, it is delicious to eat them hot. Boil them in six minutes until they are well done.
- It is time to take out the hotdogs from the stove and drain them. I do pick them one by one and shake the water off before placing in a platter. Using tongs are safe and convenient to do this. Or else, you can pour all the contents of the pot in a large colander for draining the water out.
- If you prepared a large batch of hotdogs for the crowd, you might let it stay warm in the pot of hot water. Do not forget to place the pot in a cool burner and cover it. On the other hand, if you want to keep your hotdogs warm during the party or within the night, set the burner to the lowest heat until the kids eat them all up.
Here is a short tutorial on how to boil hotdogs using the stove.
2# Microwave Method
Boiling hotdogs in a microwave is a lot easier and quicker than the stove. It only takes 4 minutes prep time and 2-3 minutes of boiling to finish. All you need is a microwave-safe bowl full of water and your hotdogs.
- Fill your bowl half-full with water. It should be big enough to hold the hotdogs you tend to boil. Try using a glass microwave-safe bowl so that you can see the hotdogs inside.
- Before putting the hotdogs inside the bowl, slit it using your knife to avoid it from bursting inside the microwave. Make a lengthwise slit through the skin in each of the hotdogs.
- Slid all the hotdogs in the bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave and set it to high on one minute. After 1 minute, check it the hotdogs are ready by cutting off the tip of one hotdog to see if it is already hot.
- I usually use a fork if I cannot get a tong to remove the hotdogs one by one from the boiling water. Drain the hotdogs in a colander or through a paper towel before offering it to your guests.
Here is a short tutorial on how to boil hotdogs using a microwave.
Several Tips to Make Perfectly Cooked Hotdogs:
Although covering the two different methods of boiling hotdogs are easy; still, you can benefit from some tips to make it perfect. Here are some practical tips for delicious and crispy hotdogs.
- Sauté your hotdogs immediately after boiling them to have a crispy and tasty result.
- Season your hotdogs when boiling to add flavor. You can add any seasoning you want. I usually sprinkle salt to water and some spices. Others pour beer to impart the flavor of the hotdogs. Try it!
- Defrost the hotdogs first before cooking not only to save cooking time but also to determine the exact time needed for boiling.
- When using the microwave, cook it in high setting and check it carefully if it needs more time to boil.
- For a high-quality hotdog, do not buy cheap meat. Choose the brand that sells less fillers. I like all-beef, organic hotdogs for my kids.
- Do not let the casing burst. If it does, it means you have turned to heat too high than needed.
- Put the hotdog in cold water first before boiling to avoid splits.
- When the hotdogs rise to the surface while boiling, it means you need to remove them already.
By the way, while your hotdogs are boiling, take time toasting the buns with butter either in a skillet or using the oven. It will finish toasting just in time when you remove the hotdogs from boiling. After draining your hotdogs, it should be warm and dry enough to place in your toasted buns. Drizzle with mustard; add on cheese and some of your favorite condiments and toppings.
Frying it also can give an extra crispy taste to it. Try using skewers for your hotdogs. It is going to be a hit during camping meals along with roasted marshmallows.
My Final Thoughts
Do you know that there is a debate going on? Yep, some are against boiling hotdogs, while others find it quite an advantage. I do believe that each has its own preference and reasons about it. Nevertheless, I have been boiling hotdogs since I can remember, and it always stays yummy to the last bite.
I guess boiling it the right way is a vital factor in making it as it is. Do you already know how long to boil hotdogs? Remember that it only takes an average of 5-6 minutes to do so.