A range hood is a kitchen appliance that captures the heat, smoke, grease, and other unwanted byproducts of cooking. The best under cabinet range hood will capture these residues and keep your kitchen clean and fresh. If not captured the residues can make your kitchen dirty and greasy.
And let’s be honest here, nobody likes to work in a dirty kitchen where you spend more time cleaning than cooking. Range hoods are available in a lot of styles and designs. In this article, we will tell you about the features and options for the best under cabinet range hood.
Best Under Cabinet Range Hood – Buying Guide
Certain factors should be considered before purchasing the best under the cabinet range hood.
Factors To Look For While Buying The Best Under Cabinet Range Hood
Make sure that your range hood is larger than your stove. It should extend at least 3 inches on the sides of the stove. It will allow the range hood to capture the heat, grease, and odor in your kitchen.
There are two types of ventilation systems in a range hood, ducted and ductless. Ducted range hoods take the air from inside your kitchen and throw it outside your home. A ductless range hood takes air from your kitchen, filters it to remove grease and odor, and returns it to the kitchen itself. Ductless systems are less efficient than ducted systems. The model you should go for will depend upon the type of home you live in. For example, if you live in an apartment, a ductless range will be your go-to type of range hood.
Type of filter
Three different types of filters are used in a range hood. These are mesh filters, baffle filters, and charcoal filters. We will suggest going to a mesh filter. They trap the most amount of grease. It also requires more frequent cleaning but will provide the best kitchen experience. These are a cheaper option too. We recommend going for a range hood with a mesh filter.
A more powerful range hood will do a better job of cleaning the kitchen. But it will also cost more. They are a good fit for you if you do a lot of heavy cooking and frying. The power is measured in CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute. It will be a good idea to add 100 CFM for each linear foot of the range. Remember that ductless systems will not require as much power as ducted systems. This is because it does not need to pump the air out like the ducted range hoods.
Range hoods can be quite loud. They will seem louder at the highest settings. This noise can be unpleasant sometimes. Some models perform better in this area. They do produce noise but just a little. They are much better when compared to other models. Do look into the noise production of a range hood model before buying it.
Look for a range hood model that provides several options for fan speed. It will allow you to turn up the speed when you are heavy cooking or frying. And when you are doing something light you can simply turn the speed down. It will keep your kitchen free of grease while still being an energy-efficient option. A range hood model with two to three fan speed setting options should suffice.
Most models of range hoods come with inbuilt lights. These lights will light up your counter space and make it very easy to cook. Do consider which type of lighting will be perfect for you. Check the light type and brightness.
Heat sensors and automatic shutoff
If the model has a heat sensor it will be able to detect when the heat is high and will automatically turn off the vent. It will keep the long life of your range hood preserved. Automatic turnoff models will turn off the appliance after a certain amount of time.
Filter indicator light
This feature will emit light to remind you when the filter needs to be changed or cleaned. You will never miss or forget the cleaning time. It will keep your range hood o top of its performance and will provide you with a clean and fresh kitchen.
Functioning Of A Range Hood
Range hoods consist of three main components. These components are a skirt, a grease filter, and a fan. The skirt captures the gases that arise during the process of cooking. The filter captures the grease, smoke, and dust from the air that gets sucked in. And the fan is used to suck the air and gases into the range hood with extra force.
The classification of range hoods is done based on how the hoods process the air that they suck in. The two main types of range hoods are ducted systems and ductless systems.
- Ducted Sytems: These are the most common types of range hoods. It has a duct connected to it. This duct is used to throw away all the air with the cooking by-products outside of the house. This type of range hood is more powerful and does a better job of removing grease and odor from the kitchen. It requires the duct to connect to an outside wall to expel the air outside the house. This requirement makes it harder to install in most homes.
- Ductless Systems: Unlike ducted systems, these range hoods do not have a duct. They have an activated charcoal filter that removes grease and odor from the air. After filtering, it returns the air into the kitchen. It uses less power than ducted systems. It is less effective at its task. It is a better option for people with no access to an outer facing wall like in an apartment.
Ducted systems can remove all types of contamination from the kitchen air, but a ductless system can not remove the heat and moisture. It recirculates moisture and heat back into the kitchen with filtered air. Also, a ductless system does not need its filter replaced regularly, while a ductless system needs filter replacement or its performance will lower down significantly. Since the filter can cause airflow restriction, a ductless system wastes a lot of energy on overcoming this. A ductless system does not have to face such restrictions or energy loss.
However, a ducted system has its limitations too. It can not be installed if you do not have an outer-facing wall. It can be unsuitable for people with a shortage of space. Sometimes bringing the outside air in can require extra heating or cooling depending upon the place. But if you think both types of systems are good options and are unable to choose between them, here is good news for you. Some manufactures produce hybrid models that permit both ways of applications!
Most of the range hoods have built-in lighting. It lights up the range or the cooking area. You can also get matching accessories with the hood if you want. These accessories include backsplash panels, racks, shelving units, etc. They can drastically enhance the look of your kitchen. Range hoods come with many features to make your life easier.
It offers remote control and an automatic height adjustment. Other attractive features include thermal sensors, active noise cancellation, overheat protection, boost mode, delayed shut-off, filter cleaning reminder, temperature display, and other things. These features will allow you to use the range hoods effortlessly. Some best under cabinet range hoods also have a memory to remember user presets.
A filter is a very important part of any best under cabinet range hood. It helps to remove any odor, dirt, or dust in the kitchen. There are three different categories of filters used in a range hood. These are as follows:
- Baffle filter: This type of filter is made of steel or aluminum frames. These frames come with arched panels. The curve in the panels is efficient in catching oil, grease, smoke, and other particles. This type of filter is very sturdy and simple to clean. They are utilized in both ducted systems and ductless systems. They need to be cleaned once a month.
- Mesh filter: These filters are also called cassette filters. These filters are built from aluminum mesh strips. The strips are placed over one another in a sequence. They create an elaborate meshwork that is greatly successful in capturing and removing oil, grease, and smoke from the kitchen air. These filters can be used in both ducted systems and ductless systems. They require frequent cleaning. If you are doing light cooking, cleaning them once in 15 days will do. But if do heavy cooking and frying, remember to clean mesh filters of your range each week.
- Charcoal filter: Charcoal filter uses charcoal for filtering, as the name suggests. It is made of activated carbon charcoal. The charcoal is ground into a fine powder. It is arranged in the shape of a honeycomb. This type of filter is used predominantly in a ductless type of range hood. It is used mainly for filtering the odor. This type of filter can not be cleaned. You need to replace them after roughly 6 months.
An under cabinet range hood filter collects dust, grease, and dirt while clearing the air out constantly. The accumulation of waste on the filter will affect the hood’s performance. It will also reduce the quality of the filtered air. For better and consistent results, it is important to clean the filter or to replace it every 15 days.
The simplest cleaning way is to make use of baking powder. Place the range hood filter in a large pot. Fill it with water and drop a small amount of baking powder in it. Now heat the pot on the stove to bring it to a boil. While boiling, the water will remove the dirt and the grease from the filter slowly and uniformly.
Best Under Cabinet Range Hood Reviews
The following models are good choices for the best under cabinet range hood in the market:
1. Hauslane Chef Series PS38Range Hood
This Chef series best under cabinet range hood by hauslane is a powerful kitchen ventilation hood. It has a sleek and slim design which makes it a perfect option for small kitchens. The design is contemporary and adds a modern look to your kitchen.
This range hood has an extractor hood that is equipped with an automatic steam cleaning function. The steam melts the grease inside and makes the cleaning process easy. It helps to enhance the lifespan of the hood. It also prevents putting too much load on the motor. The unit is made from stainless steel which makes it durable and resistant to rust.
This model has dual motors that are sturdy. They can remove smoke, grease, and odor easily. The maximum power of the best under cabinet range hood is 950 CFM which is enough for most modern kitchens. It can perform well for heavy cooking too. There are seven options for fan speed. You can easily switch to the one as per your need. The motor of the chef range hoods is very quiet and is almost noiseless.
The filters used in this model are removable stainless steel filters. Cleaning the filters is very easy as half the work is already done by the automatic self-cleaning feature. The hood comes with two bright LED lamps. This provides bright light while cooking. You can set the intensity of the light as per your need. The control panel of the hood is effortless to navigate. It has a display screen for constant access to important information. It also has a digital clock or timer to keep track of the cooking duration.
Important features of the model are given below:
- The filters are removable and easy to clean.
- This range hood comes with an automatic self-cleaning function.
- The stainless steel body is sturdy and resistant to rust.
- Comes with a powerful dual motor to help with effective cleaning.
- The hood has a maximum power of 950 CFM to withstand heavy cooking.
- It includes two 3W LED lamps with intensity settings.
- It offers six different fan speed options.
- It comes with a smart buttonless control panel which is easy to clean.
- The design of this range hood is sleek and contemporary which gives a modern look to the kitchen.
- The measurements of the model are 29.75 x 23 x 8.25 inches.
- The weight of the model is 46 pounds.
- It runs at 120 volts of electricity.
- It requires 266 Watts of power.
- The amperage of this appliance is 2.2 Amp.
- The noise level of this model ranges from 1.5 to 4 stones.
2. Cosmo COS-QS75 Under Cabinet Range Hood
This best under cabinet range hood by Cosmo delivers commercial-quality performance. It is very affordable for the features that it provides. It is sleek and can fit under any type of cabinet. It can be installed in limited space too. It is the best under cabinet range hood for gas stoves.
The canopy-style hood of this Cosmo range hood adds elegance to your kitchen. This level of elegance is difficult to find in other under cabinet range hoods. The use of high-grade stainless steel in the body makes this range hood durable and sturdy. It makes use of twin centrifugal motors which result in high power. The maximum power of 500 CFM allows it to clean a large volume of air. It does its job without making much noise.
The fan speed is customizable. It has three options: high, medium, and low. You can choose a speed to suit your style of cooking at the moment. The filters used in this model are arch-flow permanent filters. It is made of stainless steel. The filter can be cleaned easily with a sponge and soapy water. You can clean the filter in a dishwasher too.
This model is ducted. It has 7.5″ round ducts. It also comes with a carbon filter in case you want to use it as a ductless hood. It has two 1.5 watts LED lights. Cosmo offers a 5-year warranty on this model.
Other features of this model:
- It is made of stainless steel which makes it sturdy and durable.
- It features 500 CFM of consistent airflow.
- The filters are easy to clean and can be cleaned in a dishwasher too.
- The control panel is fully touchscreen.
- Can be used as a ducted as well as a ductless range hood.
- It has two powerful centrifugal motors for high-level performance.
- It is the best under cabinet range hood for gas stoves.
- It has 4 fan speeds to adjust to your needs.
- It offers an auto shut-off timer for multi-tasking and removal of lingering odors.
- The motor is efficient yet quiet at 65 decibels maximum.
- It comes in a combo of stainless steel filters, hardware, damper, and remote control.
- It operates at 120 volts of electricity.
- The wattage of the model is 235 watts.
- The measurements of the model are 22 x 29.5 x 10 inches.
- The weight of the model is 52.8 pounds.
3. KOBE RAX2130SQB-1 Brillia Under Cabinet Range Hood
This best under cabinet range hood from Brillia is a powerful and efficient option. It is very slim and sleek in design. It can hide and be almost invisible under the cabinet. It will be a perfect option for you if your cabinets hang low. The high-quality construction of the body gives it a long life. It has a smooth hood surface which makes cleaning easy. You can clean the fan without having to disassemble the whole unit.
The maximum power of the hood is up to 750 CFM. While running at maximum power it can make a little noise. But you run it at a medium power level, say at 300 CFM it will work at a reduced sound level of just 40 decibels. The robust blower makes it perfect for frying and other heavy cooking in the kitchen.
This model gives you a 3-speed fan control. You can adjust the controls to a level that you need at that time being. It has a quiet mode which you can use. It lets you cook in serenity without any noise. the type of filter used in this appliance is a baffle filter. It captures the oil and grease effectively and is easy to clean. This filter is safe to clean in a dishwasher.
The model is easy to install. It has mounting brackets. It has two LED bulbs for perfect lighting. You get an awesome warranty offer on this range hood. It comes with a 1-year manufacturing warranty and a 2-year warranty on parts.
Other features of the model:
- It has a slim design which is ideal for lower cabinets.
- It has commercial-grade stainless steel with a seamless design.
- The maximum power of the model is 750 CFM.
- It is available in 3 different sizes: 30″, 36″, and 42″.
- The sleek design lets you clean the fans without disassembling the hood.
- There are 3 different options for fan speed.
- It has two 3 watts LED lights to vividly illuminate your cooktop.
- It is easy to install with mounting brackets provided.
- It uses baffle filters that can be washed in a dishwasher.
- It runs on 300 watts of power.
- The amperage of the device is 2.5 amps.
- The power of the model ranges between 300 t0 750 CFM.
- The noise level is from 1.0 to 5.6 sones.
- It has a quiet mode where the hood runs at 40 dB or 40 sones.
- The measurements of the model are 20 x 30 x 12 inches.
- The weight of the model is 33 pounds.
- The control panel uses mechanical push buttons.
4. Zephyr AK2100BS Power Typhoon Series Under Cabinet Hood
This range hood by Zephyr is a very beautiful model. The design of this model makes it truly stand out. It is a great addition to any kitchen. It is a very powerful model that is still affordable for most of us.
The body is made of stainless steel. Steel is also resistant to rust which is a great benefit. This model is ductless but does a good job of cleaning the kitchen air. It has two filters for excellent filtration. The grills are removable which provides ease of cleaning. The blades are of turbine design. They are powerful and can easily expel hot air. It simultaneously separates oil and grease from the kitchen air.
You have three options to choose from for the power of the hood. You can choose a blower of either 250, 390, or 850 CFM. All of these blowers can remove any kind of airborne contamination easily. This model provides 6 options for fan speed. It can assist you in light to heavy cooking effortlessly, without wasting power. The fans are quite quiet even at high speeds.
Cleaning and maintaining this model is a breeze. You can inject detergent into the motor while it is still running. Then the hood will remove the waste to a cup that you can then wash. The lighting in this model is provided by two 35 watts of halogen bulbs. The control panel is packed with useful features. You get functionalities like delay-off, which shuts down your model 5 minutes after detecting that it is not in use. You can also control the light intensity and fan speed using the control panel.
The other features of this model are:
- It has a filterless self-cleaning feature where you just have to introduce detergent.
- The waste gets accumulated in cups that can be washed off in a dishwasher.
- The length of the range hood is 30 inches.
- It has 6 options of fan speed to choose from.
- The maximum power of this hood is 850 CFM.
- The noise level ranges from 0.9 to 5 sones.
- You can choose from blowers with a power of 590, 390, or 290 CFM.
- It does its job without making much noise.
- It has a beautiful and sleek design that stands out.
- It runs on a voltage of 120 volts.
- The measurements of the model are 20.75 x 29.75 x 7.88 inches.
- The weight of the model is 40 pounds.
5. BV Under Cabinet Kitchen Range Hood
This model of best under cabinet range hood has a high suction power. This appliance is easy to keep clean. It will improve the air quality in your kitchen instantly. This model has excellent features. It delivers value for money.
The design of the range hood is quite contemporary. It is made from 18 gauge stainless steel. It is strong and will last for quite a long time. The design makes the hood an excellent cleaner. It is easy to install in the kitchen too. This model by BV uses two motors. They can deliver the maximum power of up to 750 CFM. The high airflow cleans the residues in the air very effectively.
This range hood makes use of the baffle filter. It takes the greasy air in and then the droplets condense after touching the steel blades. It then gathers into the steel tray. The filters can be removed easily. They can be cleaned either manually or in a dishwasher. It incorporates two bright LED lights to light up the cooking surface.
The maximum noise from this model is very low. It is so quiet that it will not feel like it is running. You have a 30-day money-back offer on this model from BV. It also comes with 2 years of limited warranty.
Other features of this range hood are as follows:
- The maximum power of this range hood is 750 CFM.
- It comes with 2 watts of energy-saving LED bulbs for illuminating the cooktop.
- This range hood comes with 430 stainless steel baffle filters.
- You can remove these filters easily.
- The filters are easy to clean and are safe to be cleaned in a dishwasher.
- The hood has a contemporary design with 18 gauge stainless steel.
- It is recommended to install this hood from 27 to 30 inches above the cooktop.
- It includes 3 levels of speed control for fans.
- The control panel is of push-button type.
- The duct placement is on the top with duct size being 6″.
- BV provides two years warranty period on this model.
- The highest noise level is just 70 dB.
- The hood runs on 120 volts of electricity.
- It requires 174 watts of power.
- The measurements of this product are 29.75 x 22 x 8 inches.
- The weight of this product is 42.7 pounds.
6. Hauslane Chef Series PS18 Under Cabinet Range Hood
This range hood from Hauslane looks very elegant in the kitchen. It provides high-quality performance. It comes in 30″ and 36″ sizes that are fit for most cooktops. It will give great value for money.
The range hood is made from stainless steel. Each component has an innovative design. This hood can integrate effortlessly with any kitchen design. The model is quite durable. The motor included in the hood is very powerful. It can deliver a performance of up to 860 CFM. It also has a delayed shut-off function. It will turn off the appliance after a certain time duration of inactivity.
This model provides 6 levels of fan speed. You can one according to your needs at any given point in time. The powerful motor will allow you to cook oily and greasy food without worrying about the aftermath of cleaning the kitchen and dealing with the unwanted mess. The design of the hood is of ducted type. It offers three kinds of duct options for ventilation. You can use a 6″ vertical duct. You can also go with either a rectangular adapter on either the top of the rear of the appliance.
The filters used in the model are baffle filters. They are safe to clean in a dishwasher. The filters are removable. You can easily disassemble them anytime you need to clean them. The control panel is fully digital. It has an LED display to show vital information. It also supports the touch screen feature. It is easy to control the fans with a button-less touch screen display panel. Being buttonless also makes the cleaning of the control panel easy. The lamps used to illuminate the cooktop are bright while being energy-saving.
The features of the range hood are as follows:
- It is available in three colors: stainless steel, matte white, matte black.
- It is available in the size of 30 inches and 36 inches.
- The design is modern looking with a stainless steel body.
- It has a digital screen to display information.
- The control panel is fully touch-based and button less.
- It has powerful motors with a maximum power of 860 CFM.
- The delay shut off feature automatically turns off when the best under cabinet range hood is inactive for a while.
- It has a total of 6-speed settings for suction and noise levels.
- It has three-way venting to provide the flexibility of venting to the user.
- The filters are of baffle type and can be easily removed from the frame.
- These filters are easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- It runs on 120 volts of electricity.
- It uses 2 3 watts LED lights to illuminate the cooking area
- The measurements of the product are 30 x 22 x 7 inches.
- The weight of the product is 41 pounds.
7. VESTA 860CFM Under Cabinet Range Hood
This under-the-best under cabinet range hood by VESTA is a perfect addition to your kitchen. It effectively cleans smoke and grease from the air in the kitchen. The features of the model make it worth buying.
The body is made of stainless steel. It has two motors of 130 watts. They are capable of removing 95% of oil from the air. The suction power of the motors is quite high. The maximum power is 860 CFM. This model uses a curved baffle filter design. It can catch most of the smoke from cooking. It also offers triple ventilation. It has a round connector, a back vent, and a rectangular connector.
The control panel is a fully touchscreen one. It has a clock, a filter cleaning reminder, and an auto delay option. It comes with two halogen lights. They can provide soft as well as bright illumination. You get a limited warranty period of one year with the best under cabinet range hood. While on the motor you get a warranty period of 10 years!
The other features of the model:
- The maximum power of the motor is 860 CFM.
- It has 6 different levels for fan speeds.
- The control panel is fully touch-screen.
- It has two halogen lamps that can provide soft and bright lights.
- The two motors are powerful and run on 130 watts.
- The size of the model is 30 inches.
- The filter type is a baffle filter.
- The fans have an oleophobic coating to prevent a build-up of oil and grease.
- It has three types of ventilation options.
- The maximum noise production reaches only 65 dB.
- The measurements of the body are 29.8 x 22 x 7 inches.
- The weight of the model is 52.8 pounds.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best under the cabinet range hood?
These models are good options for the best under cabinet range hood:
- Hauslane Chef Series Range Hood 30″ PS38 PRO
- Cosmo COS-QS75 Under Cabinet Range Hood
- KOBE RAX2130SQB-1 Brillia Under Cabinet Range Hood
- Zephyr AK2100BS Power Typhoon Series Under Cabinet Hood
- BV Under Cabinet Kitchen Range Hood
- Hauslane Chef Series PS18 Under Cabinet Range Hood
- VESTA 860CFM Under Cabinet Range Hood
2. What is the quietest under the cabinet range hood?
Zephyr AK2100BS Power Typhoon Series best under cabinet range hood is the quietest at the minimum fan setting. It makes sounds only of 0.9 sones when it is running at the lowest speed setting. The noise range of this range hood is 0.9 and 5 sones. If you want a range hood that will make the least sound at the highest setting, Hauslane Chef Series Range Hood 30″ PS38 PRO is the best option for you. At the highest speed setting, it will make sounds of only 4 sones. The noise range of this one is from 1.5 to 4 sones.
3. How do I choose an under cabinet range hood?
The most important thing is to decide on a budget. And then look for a specific type of best under cabinet range hood according to your house type. If you have access to an outer wall then go for a ducted under cabinet range hood. If you do not have access to the same, go for a ductless system. Though less efficient, these systems are a practical choice for you. Make a list of the features that you want and then look at the options to select one that fits your needs.
4. What should I look for when buying a range hood?
There are many factors that you should pay attention to when buying the best under cabinet range hood. First of all, choose a size that will cover your cooktop. Then the most necessary thing is the power of the system. The power of the system should be directly proportional to the cooking area. Choose between ducted and ductless ventilation types. See the type of filter that will fit your needs. Look for a model that makes less noise and provides a lot of fan speed options. Other factors might include cleaning reminders, in-built lights, auto shut-off, etc.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also: