Having a kitchen exhaust fan has somewhat become a necessity nowadays, thanks to heavy cooking that happens in almost every household.
Even if you don’t have heavy cooking happening, owning the best kitchen exhaust fan helps in keeping the overall air of your kitchen clean and clears out unnecessary fumes from the room, to not leave the smell of spices as well as cooked food items, around.
Also, it aids in proper ventilation of the kitchen, which is extremely necessary, since there are high temperatures for long hours at a stretch, in the kitchen.
Table of Contents
- Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans – Buying Guide
- Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans Reviews
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans – Buying Guide
So, with this very purpose set in mind, let us start by looking at some of the key factors you will have to keep in mind when you set out to buy a good kitchen exhaust fan.
Factors to keep in mind when looking to buy the best kitchen exhaust fan
- Its capacity – As is known, every kitchen requires needs a certain amount of airflow for proper ventilation. The airflow in an exhaust fan for a kitchen is usually measured in CFM or cubic feet per minute. While small exhaust fans have a CFM airflow ranging between 30 to 50, larger models provide a CFM airflow anywhere between 200-300. So, based on the size of your kitchen, choose an exhaust fan that will ensure thorough ventilation.
- Its size – The size of your kitchen exhaust fan is important because it depends on the location you intend on placing it and the size of your kitchen. A small kitchen fan won’t be very useful in a moderately big kitchen and vice-e-versa, so remember to consider this factor too.
- Its sound level –The loudness of a kitchen exhaust fan is measured in sones. A fan that measures 2 sones or less, is considered ideal as it is going to be quiet. Similarly, a fan that measures 4 sones is considered loud. The price of an exhaust fan also depends on the total sones generated by a fan. Thus, the lower the sones, the more will be the price.
- Its mounting type – There are many different ways in which an exhaust fan can be mounted, such as – ceiling mount or exterior mount and wall mount. Wall mounts are usually considered the best as they can be placed anywhere as per your convenience. Exterior fans are similar to wall mount fans, with the only exception being that the noise is created outside. Ceiling fans help to improve overall airflow through the ventilation system present in the ceiling. Most modern homes opt for ceiling fans because they are considered a better option.
- It’s automatic controls system– The latest exhaust fan models have a ton of new technical features to it, one being automatic controls, which tend to switch on as soon as the machine detects a rise in the humidity levels or overall temperature levels. However, it is important to keep in mind that a user will have to manually turn it on to ensure the removal of unwanted odors.
- Its price -This is the most important factor when looking to buy an exhaust fan because the price of the fan determines its size and features too. So, depending on your budget choose a good exhaust fan.
Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans Reviews
1. Broan-NuTone 505 Exhaust Fan
The Broan-NuTone 505 is one of the best exhaust fans for the kitchen as it is made of polymeric and is button controlled. It comes in the color white and has quite a few interesting features which are
- It helps to eliminate cooking odors, humidity as well as tobacco smoke
- It has a galvanized steel house which is easy to install in the ceiling, where it is best needed
- It is extremely power efficient, running on 200 CFM and providing 8.5 sones to ensure excellent all-round performance
- It has steel mounting brackets that come with keyhole slots to ensure quick and easy installation
- It has paintable polymeric grilles, to allow you to make it cohesive with your kitchen décor
- It is 8-inches
- It is an energy star as well as HVI certified
2. SAILFLO 10-inch Exhaust Shutter Fan
The Sailflo 10-inch exhaust shutter fan comes with a 2-way linkage blower and is available in three sizes – 6-inches, 8-inches, and 10-inches (in case you’re looking for a smaller size). It is considered one of the best kitchen exhaust fans because
- It consumes 35 Watts to run
- It has an extremely large airflow of 470 CFM
- This ventilation fan is a two-way type linkage one
- It has the ability to eliminate hot air, and smoke and then inhale cool natural wind to maintain proper ventilation
- It has a water-resistant high-quality sleeve bearing motor that has the ability to run for 9,000 hours straight!
- It comes in-built with an overheat protector as well as an efficient temperature fuse.
- It is extremely easy to install
- It is button controlled and is of wall mounting type
- It comes with a 33-inch UL certified power cord and plug
- It has a detachable panel which makes it easy to clean and maintain
3. iLIVING 10-inch Wall Mounted Exhaust Fan
The iLiving 10-inch wall mounted exhaust fan can provide for variable speed and is button controlled. It comes in silver color and extremely efficient making it one of the best kitchen exhaust fans. Some of its key features include
- It helps get rid of excess moisture and heat, thereby preventing molds and allergens from staying in the kitchen
- It helps to reduce excess electricity bills
- It is corrosion resistant and its fully enclosed motor is both permanently lubricated as well as thermally protected, thus helping in easy maintenance
- It has an adjustable speed functionality (when bought in combination with their speed controller that is sold separately)
- The shutters are constructed using durable and high-grade aluminum which is why they can withstand excess moisture and heat and also keeps it protected from the formation of corrosive rust
- It is 10-inches
- It runs on 120 Volts and can provide cooling to an area of 600 cubic feet every minute
4. Broan Aluminium Exhaust Fan
The Broan aluminum power pack range hood insert exhaust fan has two variants – aluminum and stainless steel and it is considered one of the best kitchen exhaust fans because
- There are two power variants – 250 CFM and 390 CFM
- It has three-speed slide controls and it works at 8.0 sones for 250 CFM, ensuring reliable performance every time
- There is an enclosed lighting area in it (which is sold separately) for two incandescent candelabra bulbs of 40 Watts each
- It has a single aluminum mesh filter which is washable, which ensures maximum grease capture
- Its smooth surface helps to clean it easily
- It has quick-release filters that are dishwasher safe, thereby reducing unnecessary time being spent in the kitchen
- It has the ability to work in an ADA compliant situation too when it is wired to a standard 2 or 3 rocker wall switch which helps to turn the hood both on and off
- It has a two-speed motor and a 7-inch round duct and non-ducted discharge
5. Cabina Home 6-inch Silent Exhaust Fan
The Cabina Home 6-inch exhaust fan can easily be considered one of the best kitchen exhaust fans there is, thanks to its zero noise mechanism. Other than that, it has quite a few interesting features, which are
- It is made of metal
- It is a wall mount exhaust fan
- It comes in the color black
- It is extremely easy to install as well as clean
- It is 6-inches
- It has a 2800 rpm fan speed
- It runs on 220V
- It has a safety net cover which ensures dirt doesn’t enter the fan space
6. Broan-NuTone F403004 Exhaust Fan
The Broan-NuTone F403004 is considered one of the best kitchen exhaust fans because multiple sizes it is available in, along with the different colors they have on offer, to help you choose an exhaust fan based on your kitchen décor. Read on to know more!
- It is available in four sizes – 24-inches, 30-inches, 36-inches and 42-inches
- It comes in 7 unique color variants
- This hood insert exhaust fan helps to improve overall ventilation as well as lighting atop the stove through four distinct ways – it is ducted horizontally or vertically wherein it operates at 6.5 sones and 160 CFM, there is a 7-inch round vertical duct that operates at 190 CFM or a non-ducted type wherein you will have to buy the filter separately – as per your convenience
- It has a protective lamp lens which helps to evenly distribute light over your entire cooktop and you can insert a 75 W bulb (bulb is to be bought separately)
- It has a single piece dishwasher safe mesh filter made of aluminum that helps to maintain maximum grease capture
- It is extremely versatile, having separate rocker switches that help to control light as well as a 2-speed fan for your convenience
- The range hood of the exhaust fan measures 30-inches and is to be installed at least 18-inches above your cooktop
- The style of the exhaust fan is contemporary
7. Broan-NuTone 509 Exhaust Fan
The Broan-NuTone 509 through the wall exhaust fan is one of the best kitchen exhaust fans because, not only does it help to remove humidity from the kitchen, but it also removes all sorts of cooking odors as well as tobacco smoke. Some of its other key features include –
- It is available in three variants – 6-inches having 70 CFM and 6.0 sones, 8-inches having 180 CFM and 6.5 sones, and 10-inches having 270 CFM and 6 sones
- It is imported
- It is made of plastic
- It is an extremely versatile fan which not just helps to remove the odor of food items but also helps to maintain proper ventilation, ensuring that your house smells fresh and clean all the time
- It operates on 180 CFM and provides for a 7.5 sones rating which is quite powerful for a kitchen and can cover a room of up to 170 sq. ft.
- It is extremely easy to install and can easily be adjusted to wall fittings that are anywhere between 4.5 to 9.5 inches thick or 5.25-inches to 10-inches thick
- It comes with printable polymeric grilles that allow you to make it cohesive to the décor in your kitchen
- It has an in-built damper which minimizes backdraft to ensure energy efficiency along with a specially designed fan blade made of polymeric to ensure optimal performance always
8. Broan-Nutone 512M Exhaust Fan
The Broan-Nutone 512M ventilation and exhaust fan which appears last in our list of some of the best kitchen exhaust fans have three variants to choose from. Lets us see what they are and more
- It has three variants which are – 6-inches having 70 CFM and 6.0 sones, 8-inches having 180 CFM and 6.5 sones and 10-inches having 270 CFM and 6 sones
- This fan not only helps to get rid of humidity but also removes cooking odors as well as tobacco smoke, leaving your kitchen smelling fresh and clean always
- It is an extremely efficient and effective exhaust fan, running on 70 CFM and 6.0 sones
- Its motor is really easy to install and it has a ‘twist-lock’ mechanism along with adjustable housing features to help fit into walls ranging between 4.5-inches to 9.5-inches thick and 5.25-inches to 10-inches thick – as per your convenience
- Its paintable polymeric grilles ensure that your exhaust fan is cohesive to the décor in your kitchen
- It has an in-built damper that minimizes backdraft to ensure energy efficiency along with a specially designed fan blade made of polymeric to ensure optimal performance always
No matter how big or small your kitchen is, having a good exhaust fan ensures that excess humidity and smell of food does not accumulate in the kitchen, making it extremely uncomfortable to stay there.
Our comprehensive list of some of the best kitchen exhaust fans will not just ensure that all these problems are met, but will also ensure that your kitchen is left smelling fresh and clean at all hours of the day. Most of the exhaust fans we have mentioned above are extremely compact and energy-efficient, so you needn’t worry about exorbitant bills simply for keeping your kitchen away from unnecessary odor.
So, choose anyone and get to worry less about cooking right away!
Also, you can take a look at Best Luxury Kitchen Faucets available in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which type of exhaust fan is best for the kitchen?
The best type of exhaust fan for a kitchen will depend on the size of the kitchen and also on whether you’d prefer opting for a wall mount fan or a ceiling fan. Most opt for wall mounts because they can throw out unwanted odor outside, instead of a ceiling fan which simply provides proper ventilation.
2. Where should a kitchen exhaust fan be installed?
Ideally, it would be best to have a kitchen exhaust fan installed somewhere close to a window or opening to allow all the humidity and food odor to pass out.
If you are looking for a faucet for your kitchen then do check out the reviews of the Best Kitchen Faucet Brands which will provide you with useful information about the faucets and their use cases.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Pick-A-Flow Speed Selector: Select desired airflow from 110, 130, 150 CFM
- Revolutionary ECM motor with SmartFlow technology for optimum CFM output
- Flex-Z Fast bracket provides flexible, fast & trouble-free installation, even from below the ceiling
- Long Life: High-quality components and permanently lubricated motors for long life
- Code Compliant: ENERGY STAR rated and ASHRAE 62.2 compliant
- HIGH-CAPACITY FAN: Ventilation fan operates on a single, impact-resistant centrifugal blower wheel with 308 CFM, 2.9 Sones, and 120V for a powerful...
- HEAVY-DUTY: Housing is constructed of 20-gauge galvanized steel and features an 8" round metal duct connector to provide long-lasting use
- CUSTOMIZATION: Fan ducts horizontally, vertically, or in-line with a separate adapter for your convenience
- EFFECTIVE: Motors are permanently lubricated to provide continuous and quiet operation
- IDEAL FOR LARGE ROOMS: High-capacity ventilation fan is great for conference rooms, public restrooms, and other areas in commercial buildings that...
- HIGH-QUALITY FAN: Quiet, energy efficient exhaust fan operates with 80 CFM and 0.7 Sones to help control air quality is powerful enough for rooms...
- EFFICIENT: Powerful ventilation removes in most full baths at 80 CFM, so your surroundings will always be comfortable
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install new/replace existing product with retrofit installations that can be done entirely from the room-side – no attic...
- RELIABLE PERFORMANCE: With our TrueSeal Damper Technology, fans reduce air leakage by up to 50% compared to competitive models, resulting in better...
- THREE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Backed by a three year limited warranty for your convenience
- Fits 9-1/2 inch x 9-1/2 inch rough opening
- U.L. and C.S.A approved
- POWERFUL BUT QUIET: CIARRA 30 inch range hood with 450 CFM, effectively remove smoke and odors. Quiet operation, 8.5 Sones max at the highest speed.
- DURABLE MOTOR SYSTEM: Wall mount range hood with upgraded sturdy motor offers excellent support to your ventilation need.
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN: Stove vent hood for kitchen with mechanical push button for convenient control. Made of premium 430 grade brushed stainless...
- SUPERIOR FILTRATION: Ductless range hood in stainless steel with mesh filters, trap cooking grease and oil with ease, preventing smells and odors...
- CONVERTIBLE VENTILATION MODE: Kitchen hood vent operated in ducted or ductless mode, if you would like to convert your range hood to ductless, you...
- Commercial grade, high performance fans
- Made of steel with a durable powder coated finish
- Made with quality UL components for quiet operation
- Easily installs in minutes
- Fan come with an 8 ft 120 volt power cord
- Powerful Airflow Greatly Reduces Cooking Smoke and Grease - Dual motors with high airflow up to 750 CFM can take away most cooking smoke and grease....
- Provide Extra Lighting Aids in Prep Safety – With bright 2 watts Energy-Saver LED Lights, they will not only provide extra lighting to the space you...
- Easy-to-Clean and Dishwasher Safe Baffle Filters - Featured 430 stainless steel baffle filters. They are easy to remove and dishwasher safe!
- Contemporary Design – Full body with 18 Gauge Stainless Steel Design provides a much modern look for your kitchen.Minimum Height Above Cook Top: 24...
- Worry-free Guarantee ETL Rated. One-year limited product warranty. Register with us to get an extra one year warranty.
- EFFICIENT AIRFLOW: Featuring 500 CFM airflow, backlit touchscreen, 4-speed fan and twin centrifugal motors; Quickly ventilate your kitchen without the...
- EASY TO CLEAN FILTERS: Cosmo’s ARC-FLOW Stainless Steel Permanent Filters are dishwasher-safe and extremely durable. Converts to ductless range hood...
- Built with cutting edge technology and with the utmost of care, Cosmo brings you beautiful premium range hoods at an affordable price. Expect cooking...
- ENERGY SAVING LIGHTS: The energy-efficient, 1.5-watt LEDs are long-lasting and provide bright, high lumen lighting for better visibility at night....
- 3-YEAR LIMITED PARTS: Our customer support team is based proudly in the USA. Range Hood Product Dimensions: 29.5" (W) x 22" (D) x 10" (H). Electrical...
- 2-SPEED DIAL CONTROL: Choose between low or high air output options on this twin speed window fan to create gentle airflow or a brisk breeze.
- AUTO-LOCKING ACCORDION EXPANDERS: This twin airflow window fan features auto-locking expanders, which can expand between 22-1/4" and 33" for a snug...
- REVERSIBLE FUNCTION: Featuring a manual reverse option, this twin blade window fan can draw cool, fresh air into your home or push hot, stale air out...
- REMOVABLE COVER: The removable fabric cover protects against keeps bugs and debris out while also preventing hot, humid air from entering your home...
- VERSATILE DESIGN: With 2 sturdy feet for tabletop use and a carrying handle for added portability, this twin blade window fan is convenient enough for...
- 12" Explosion Proof Fan: EX Certified explosion proof fan is designed with an explosion proof switch. Static: 450Pa. Fan Diameter: 12" / 300 mm,...
- Axial blower features 500W explosion proof motor with high speed: 2920Rpm fit long time ventilation work, low noise 69dB(A). Reliable and built to...
- Portable & Compact: Tough steel boxed frame to be portable. Product Size: 14.9" x 15" x 17" / 38 x 38.3 x 43.2 cm for easy use and storage.
- Large Air Flow: High output fans designed with strong suction. Diameter: 12" / 300 mm and 6 thick blades offer large Capacity: 77m3/min. Two durable...
- Stable Feet: For a long term stable standing, 4 rubber feet at the bottom are offered, besides, another 2 rubber feet are free for easy replacement....